Monday, August 28, 2006

Chain Letter On Immigration

I just received a lovely chain letter regarding the immigration debate from my uncle who loves sending me this sort of stuff, even though he knows I disagree with him politically on about every issue. The individual who spread this to my uncle claims it was an editorial written by a lady. I looked it up and have found nothing as to the source, so who knows where this exactly came from. All I do know is the fact that there's nothing factual or scientific about this chain letter. It's merely a person letting their feelings be known about immigration and attempting to do so in an analogous manner. Here it is:

"House Breakers

'Recently large demonstrations have taken place across the country protesting the fact that Congress is finally addressing the issue of illegal immigration. Certain people are angry that the US might protect its own borders, might make it harder to sneak into this country and, once here, to stay indefinitely.

Let me see if I correctly understand the thinking behind these protests.

Let's say I break into your house. Let's say that when you discover me in your house, you insist that I leave. But I say, 'I've made all the beds and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors; I've done all the things you don't like to do. I'm hard-working and honest (except for when I broke into your house).

According t o the protesters, not only must you let me stay, you must add me to your family's insurance plan and provide other benefits to me and to my family (my husband will do your yard work because he too is hard-working and honest, except for that breaking in part). If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my right to be there. It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do, and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm hard-working and honest um, except for ... well, you know.

And what a deal it is for me!! I live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it without being accused of selfishness, prejudice and being anti-housebreaker. Oh yeah, and I want you to learn my language so you can communicate with me.

Why can't some people see how ridiculous this is?Only in America....if you agree, pass it on (in English)'"

Very moving, isn't it? My jaw about dropped when I read this, not from being touched or moved in any positive manner (positive according to the individuals sending this around), but from being blown away by these individuals' denial of history, reality, and their pure narcissism.

This chain letter is written in a clever manner, in attempt to portray to readers that the immigrants are the narcissists and the ones saying "Me, me me," but it in fact says just the direct opposite to those who can actually read between the lines, as the saying goes.

It goes on and on about how immigrants are like robbers, breaking into a person's home. They may be hard-working and decent people, oh, except for the fact that they're robbers who broke into a person's home! Allright, so let me get this straight. For those who truly believe in this chain letter, mainly Anglo-Americans like myself, so, when our ancestors came to the land we call America where the Vikings and Natives had already settled before us, were we then the robbers? Did we break into their homes just as these "immigrants" are doing now? Oh, no, but that was different right? There was so much open land. It's not like we were taking it all over, right? Okay, well, isn't that the case now? I know some Anglos are very frightened of anyone who doesn't look like Casper the Ghost, but there's plenty of land, especially in certain parts of the country (Ex: midwest) and it's not like these "immigrants" are taking it all over, correct? Last time I checked, there were some people in this country who are called "minorities" and for a reason. These include: Asian-Americans, African-Americans, Arab-Americans, and what do you know, Latino-Americans. Who don't I include there? That's right, Anglo-Americans.

If these people who spread this e-mail truly believe this, then they might as well take a stand for all of us Anglos to move back to where are our ancestors traveled from: England, Germany, Poland, Ireland, Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Switzerland, France, Spain, Italy, Czechoslovakia, etc. Why'd they travel here? To create better opportunity for themselves and their families. Why are the "immigrants" of today wanting to live here? The same exact reasons! To create better opportunity for themselves and their families. I'm sorry to disappoint some people, but America is not the white man's land! If some want to find that somewhere, I'm sure there are some sick white supremacist groups around somewhere that they could join.

One of the final lines in the e-mail wrote "Only in America!" Dang straight! I find it to be quite something to look around and see people who had ancestors travel from parts of Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, South America, and other portions of North America to this country. It's beautiful to look around a room and observe a woman from Beijing, a man from Nepal, a boy from Sudan, and a girl from Pakistan. It's diversity and it's beautiful.

I find these types of e-mails and chain letters especially humorous, because many of these individuals claim to be Godly Christ-lovers and devout Christians. Where in the Bible does it say anything in regard to a land (such as America) being only a white man's land and all other's are prohibited from entering? I've certainly missed that passage if it's in there (which it's not).

I saw in a recent study conducted by social psychologists that America is the 23rd happiest country in the world and that's quite a feat for how diverse we are. I think it actually shows our openness and tolerance for one another and that regardless of one's ethnicity, gender, age, religious affiliation, etc., that for the most part, we're able to but whatever prejudices we may have to the side and get along with people. "Only in America?" Dang straight and that's what makes this country so beautiful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home