Thursday, December 22, 2005

"I am not a -ist!"

You ever know a person who would use a derogatory remark towards someone, saying this in a very stern and angry manner, and then look at you and say something along the lines of, "Dude, I'm not a -ist!" Whatever that -ist may be, racist, sexist, homophobic (not -ist, but close enough). I know a couple people like that and can only wonder what is going on through that noggin' of theirs when saying those things. I even wonder less about what is going on inside their head when they're saying the stupid remark about a person as when they try to rationalize their remark. It'd be like if there was a married couple. The wife walks in on the husband making out and doing other things with another woman. He sees her (the wife), turns around, and says, "Honey, I'm not a cheater!" You know, it could be very easy to deny things and even lie about things if a person didn't see or hear you in action. If the man had cheated on his wife and she was away on a business trip, then it wouldn't be so difficult for him to hide what happened (unless he had a conscience, of course). But, when she sees it for herself? Good luck buddy. You're busted! Same thing here. If these people kept their mouths shut and their derogatory comments to themselves, then it'd be easy for them to pass as not being an -ist to the people they hang around. But, to actually say these things in front of people? Again, you're busted! I know someone who will bust out the "n" word and he'll get rolling with it here and there. When he does this, I'm completely speechless. Then, he'll glance up and give me this very odd look and say, "Man, I'm not a racist." Uh-huh. I'll start believing that when I see and hear it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home