Saturday, May 27, 2006

Godfearers

Even those whom I don't agree with when it comes to religion, I will respect their beliefs if they truly and honestly believe. What I have a problem with is those who claim to believe for the sole reason that they fear God and what could happen to them if they don't believe. That right there tells me they don't actually believe. Just because I leave a cookie and a glass of milk out on the dinner table on Christmas doesn't mean that I truly believe Santa Claus will fly in through the night, lay presents underneath the tree, eat the cookie, and drink the milk. Perhaps I do it for fear that if I don't leave the cookie and milk on the table, he won't stop by my house and leave presents under the tree. Perhaps one goes to college, not because they believe it'll do them any good, but from fear of their future if they don't get their degree.

The hypothetical "what if" scenarios are a great deal of fun to ponder over, aren't they? Especially when it comes to eternal damnation, forever burning in fire? Just like the mythical Santa character knew if you were naughty or nice, God knows whether you believe or don't believe, so cast that fear to the side, because it'll do one no good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home