Wednesday, June 14, 2006

It'd Ruin My Writing Aspirations, Eh?

I spoke to someone just the other night about my future writing project ideas. Up next in line is a political satire, followed by a pop culture satire, and then a religious satire. Yeah, it'll be my trilogy of satires, but with very different plots and storylines. After this past book I wrote, a non-fiction piece that was extremely difficult to write at times, I wanted to start in on some lighter material that I could have fun with, and when it comes to politics, pop culture, and religion, I know I could have plenty of fun with those three topics.

When I brought up my idea for a religious satire, this person I was speaking to, we'll call him Russell, said that it'd ruin all other books that I'd written, my reputation, and all my writing aspirations. Why? Because, he claims that many would get ticked off, would protest, and I'd become a scapegoat. Let it be known for the record that this person was intoxicated at the time that they said these words.

I just gave him a funny look, stunned beyond all belief at what I'd just heard. It's even funnier given the fact that he and I had just spoken about "The Da Vinci Code," how successful that's been, and yet, how many people it's ticked off simultaneously.

I mean, name one work of art that doesn't irritate somebody or rub someone the wrong way. Also, with protests and anger from a group of people comes curiosity and sales from others just wondering what all the fuss is about.

It's not like anyone will actually believe my satire to be a true story either, like some may believe with "The Da Vinci Code." What's a satire to do? To exaggerate certain people, places, or events in a comical manner. I already have the base of the story thought out and if anyone believes it to be fact, then they've got some serious issues. However, it's going to further exaggerate upon some certain aspects of organized religions. Some may not even pick up on the symbolism. Some read a story as literally as is humanly possible. If this is the case, it'll just read like the history of a newfound religion that puts the likes of Scientology to shame because of its wild and far-fetched story.

Will it offend some? Yeah, probably. Like I earlier noted, it'd be utterly impossible to find one work of art that didn't offend at least one person. While some take their religion way too seriously, I think most people can find a few things they can shake their head and laugh about. If we can't laugh at things in our everyday lives (including ourselves), then we're going to be in for a very long, stressful, and difficult journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home