Monday, August 28, 2006

What's So Great About "The Notebook?"

I admit, I have yet to bring myself to see the film and I just can't see myself ever doing so. I saw the previews. I've read the reviews. I've heard the hype. But, no one has persuaded me to see the film. The story I hear is usually something like this: A guy goes to Blockbuster with his girlfriend. She either wants to see it for the first time or wants to see it again and for her boyfriend to see it. Deep down, he rejects the notion, but thinks that maybe by seeing a romance like this, there will be a better chance of cuddling and such during the film. So, he agrees and off they go, to see and hear her sob and to see him want some cuddling and such during the film.

That's always comforting, especially for the boyfriend. The two are already involved in a relationship and she wants to witness a Hollywood-ized romance of something that will never happen to her, something too good to be true, something that the boyfriend sitting next to her will never provide. Yeah, very comforting indeed.

So, honestly, what's the big deal about this film? It seems that everywhere I go, I hear about someone talking about "The Notebook." Whenever my brother calls his girlfriend up and tells her he's going to Blockbuster, she always suggests he rent "The Notebook," even though she's seen it countless times and has already had him see it a few times with her. Some friends of mine viewed it the other night after a softball game with their girlfriends. Are these guys just playing "the game" right? Well, right in the sense that they'll win some action for themselves sooner rather than later? A friend of mine popped on a country tune not long ago and he told me, "Girls love this man. If you play this in front of her, she'll be on you in no time." Hmmm. So, is that what this is all about? I can't stand country music, so that's not going to happen. Sorry ladies and sorry buddy. But, is that what it's all about, just finding ways to get laid? Maybe it's true that many guys have a one track mind.

I mean, only 50% of critics liked this film, 70 out of 140, and they gave it an average rating of 5.6 out of 10. Here's what a few of the critics had to say:

Jeffrey Westoff of Northwest Herald said, "Tells a tale we've heard hundreds of times before, yet pretends it will surprise us. It doesn't."

Ella Taylor of L.A. Weekly wrote, "From the first soft piano that acompanies white geese flying toward a humongous orange sunset, The Notebook racks up the sugary cliches till you're screaming for mercy."

Peter Tavers of Rolling Stone commented, "There's now way to endure the movie without earplugs and a blindfold."

Peter Sobczynski of Critic Doctor stated, "A dumb, slightly annoying pile of glop."

Eric D. Snider of EricDSnider.com wrote, "Drearily uninspired. I suspect the couples who would enjoy it thoroughly would equally enjoy sitting at home and gazing into each other's eyes for two hours."

Jon Popick of Planet Sick-Boy wrote, "My eyes rolled so far back in my head, I actually saw my brain. And my brain was really pissed off about having to sit through pap like this."

Frank Ochieng of Movie Eye said, "Melodramatic mush...there's not much worth jotting down in Notebook that would invite lovers of all ages to revel in the sugar-tooth cliches of this drowsy, drippy drama."

Jack Mathews of New York Daily News stated, "Two hours of the worst sort of sentimental sap."

Moira MacDonald of Seattle Times commented, "It's all sweet and gooey and absolutely predictable, in a bland TV-movie sort of way, with an ending so shameless it should come with an apology."

Uri Lessing of WWW.KCActive.com wrote, "...one gets the sense that director Nick Cassevetes and writer Jan Sardi would spray the audience with teargas if they could."

Terry Lawson of Detroit Free Press said, "If there is a more cringe-inducing, badly made and excruciating movie released this year, it would have to not only star the Olsen twins, but be written and directed by them as well."

Rick Goen of Globe and Mail wrote, "Meant to be a romantic weepy, and you will shed tears -- but only from the consistent and exhausting effort of trying to control your gag reflex."

Michael Booth of Denver Post said, "One of the shallowest movies in recent memory."

Fr. Chris Carpenter of Catholic Sun stated, "A mawkish romance; one of the year's 10 worst."

Robert W. Butler of Kansas City Star commented, "For those of even a moderately cynical bent, The Notebook is likely to induce apoplectic choking."

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I'll leave the hankies at home, prevent myself from gagging, laughing, and who knows what else during this film and watch something else. That or I'll look into someone's eyes for two hours. Okay, forget that, I'll see something else.

Link:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/notebook/?beg=49&int=25&page=3 (pages 1-4)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home