Tuesday, July 17, 2007

1408 Review

Let it first be known for the record that not many movies scare me. I find most horror flicks to be almost corny and humorous (unless they're based on a true story, of course). I enjoy Hitchcockian flicks and psychological thrillers, but still, they don't frighten me much.

With that in mind, no, 1408 didn't frighten me at all. My brother, who was sitting next to me, jumped a few times, though! It was an interesting flick to sit through, though.

Samuel L. Jackson was intense and stylish in his limited role, but John Cusak was THE man on display for the majority of the film. Some spirits and ghosts made their presence felt, but all-in-all, it was Cusak front and center. The film could've been called, "John Cusak's Room" and that would've fit perfectly with what transpired through the course of the film.

Cusak was entertaining. One has to give him that. The guy was all over the place, both literally and figuratively speaking. He was cracking a joke one minute, was a complete jerk the next, and was delusional the next (or was he?).

The film did a pretty good job of catching the viewers' interest from the outset. The build-up to Cusak's entry into room 1408 was solid. But, once he entered that room, there were some hits and misses, as far as I'm concerned. Some of the visuals and special effects were enticing, but some were almost comical. There were a few times in the middle portion of the film where I actually chuckled at some of these spirits and attempts of frightening the viewers. The film concluded in a very interesting fashion. I've read several different theories on what transpired, what the events potentially symbolized, etc. I won't let mine be known fully for I don't want to let out any spoilers. I will say that there were quite a few holes in the plot, but even then, the film was intriguing and kept my attention throughout. While I don't feel this film was terrific by any stretch of the imagination, it was watchable and I may be able to sit through it again in the future. Time will have to tell on that one. It's a valiant attempt of re-creating a Stephen King novel, but doesn't quite live up to another King novel, The Shining.

Grade: 6/10 - While the plot holes are numerous and some of the scare attempts are almost comical, John Cusak is able to hold the viewer's attention on his own and while the odd and disoriented plot may confuse and not make too much sense to some, it is likely to intrigue many.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home