Thursday, December 22, 2005

It's the Most Commercialized Time of the Year

Ahh, it's that time of year again. December and February are the ultimate commercial months, especially when it comes to pressure and guilt. I'm no grinch or scrooge, but as I've grown up, my perception of holidays like Christmas and Valentine's Day have altered immensely.

This time of year was so exciting back when I was young and naive'. It was about a big snuggly teddy bear-like guy named Santa Claus, his reindeer, and his quest to give gifts to all those that deserved them. So, you better be good! I was always told stories of Santa putting coal in kids' stockings if they hadn't been good that year. I'd go to the mall to sit on Santa's lap, not realizing there were hundreds more Santas doing the exact same thing. Santa would ask what I wanted and I'd give him the lowdown. Magically, on Christmas Day, I'd wake up to see bundles of presents underneath the tree. The naivete', the surprises, the stories, that's what made Christmas so fun when I was a kid. But, unfortunately, I had to grow up.

I actually grew up earlier than most. Ever since I was fifteen (nine years ago), I told my family that I didn't want anything for Christmas and just wanted to give the money to the poor. They all thought I was kidding, said it was just nice to think that, but, seriously, that's what I really wanted.

Anymore though, I see these overly-commericalized holidays as a way to pressure and guilt trip people into buying unnecessary things, especially the goodies- the very expensive things. After the holidays are over, some may brag about what they got, others may laugh, some may be filled with disappointment, others content, but why does it have to be about this? Why does it have to revolve around consumerism? Around money? Around objects? As I had learned when I was fifteen, I had all the essentials in life: food, water, shelter, family, love, clothing. I was one of the lucky ones. But, there are many out there who aren't so lucky and they need the essentials far more than we lucky ones need the extras.

When I look back on the story, I think Santa should change his philosophy. Instead of just giving to those that were "good," how about giving to those that need? December is a wild and crazy month for shoppers. If you want to go to a mall on a weekend in December, good luck finding a parking spot. Buying gifts for someone you love and care about is great, but that can be done any time of the year. Why not surprise them on June 13th or October 2nd or December 11th? It may be even more appreciated on a date when they're not expecting it or on a rainy day when they're not feeling the best. During the holiday season, having some time off to spend with family, friends, and loved ones, along with the opportunity to give to those who truly need the essentials in life, should make for truly the most wonderful time of the year. I hope that many make the most of that time and realize it's not about the quantity, but about the quality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home