Thursday, April 27, 2006

"United 93" Airs Tomorrow

I wrote a blog on April 4th regarding a preview I saw on the film "United 93." From what I saw that day and what I've read, it seems that some people are very ready for this film and others aren't. Thus far, reviews are very positive, with approximately nine out of ten critics praising the film. But, for the majority of the critics, even those that praised the film, they found it very difficult to sit through. It felt too real to some. Films about Vietnam, about the Holocaust, even about the Gulf War don't feel as real to me, because I was either not alive at the time or I wasn't old enough to truly understand what was happening. But, 9/11 is different. It occurred when I was 20 years old and fully aware of what I was seeing. To watch a film about that would be far more difficult for me than to see a film about Vietnam, because I can think back and remember that day. I can remember where I was, what I was doing, and what I felt when it happened. I can't experience those same feelings with a Vietnam film, because I wasn't there. I wasn't alive. Some people, especially many far righties, can't wait to see this film. It'd be unpatriotic not to. It'll prove that what the government told us was the "official" story. It'll combat "lefty" films such as "Fahrenheit 9/11" and "Syriana." They claim it'll help us remember, because so many of us want to forget.

As I wrote on April 4th, how could any of us forget? I'll always remember that day, whether I be 25 or 85 years old. September 11th, 2001 will never be forgotten. But, I don't want to relive that day. I never want to relive that day. Just because one does not want to relive a terrifying and awful experience, does not mean they're trying to forget about it, because it's just not possible. It'd take some serious blocking and denial in order to forget about 9/11. I don't even think Alzheimer's could prevent a person from remembering that day. I don't care to see the movie.

I understand that it might provide some closure for the families of the victims and the families might see it as a way for the country to know the victims, who they were, what they were about, and what they did. The families want the rest of the public to see who they were close to as special people and not just being labeled as a 9/11 victim. If I was in their shoes, I'd understand that perspective. But, I'm not.

On April 4th, I also wrote about the fear I had of filmmakers "Hollywood-izing" their 9/11 efforts. From the reviews I've read, both positive and negative, I think it's safe to say that my fear was legitimate. Even though debris from the plane spread 6-8 miles, there are numerous reports of eye-witnesses seeing a plane in the area and hearing an explosion, and there are even reports of a passenger talking on his cell phone while the plane was hit and he claimed that the plane had been shot and was going down. Even with all this evidence and more that I didn't get into, this film still does not show that the plane was shot down. This isn't to say that the passengers didn't put up a fight with the hijackers. I haven't seen any evidence that states otherwise. But, all the evidence in the world points to the plane being shot down as opposed to the hijackers being forced to crash the plane due to the determined passengers. Maybe that's a reason why the truth doesn't want to be let out, because some are fearful that the passengers will no longer be seen as heroes. But, I think regardless of that fact, the passengers will be seen as strong, determined, and heroic. They did all they could. The plane being shot down was not their fault or their doing. I just don't like to be told lies and whether they like it or not, I'm sure many of the victims' family members would agree.

There was the Flight 93 tale, then Jessica Lynch, then Pat Tillman. All these stories and others were wrapped in lies to make a good story out of something negative. Is that such a bad thing? No, if you're writing a fiction novel. Yes, if you claim it to be genuine and non-fiction. I also think these stories were made up to help make the government appear better. If the truth had been told, then they'd never hear the end of it, but subtract a few words and add a couple of lines, and it's amazing the changes that come about.

This all doesn't sit right with me, because these victims seem to be getting used by the government and others for benefits. What's the filmmaker's true intent with making this film? To truly provide closure for the victims' families and to help Americans remember an unforgettable day or is it to make money off the victims? Sure, 10% of what the movie makes goes to the victims' families, but in the grand scheme of things, what is 10%? How many families are we talking about? Even if we were talking about just ten families, then that's 1% per family. If they were to put some ridiculous number up there, like 50%, then that right there might persuade me to see the movie. That right there would show me that perhaps his true intent is to provide closure for these families and to get word out about who these victims were as people. But, just 10%? Give me a break. That's just a sugar-coated attempt to persuade people that they care, when it's only $1 out of every $10.

If this film were to be made a few years from now, when we found out answers to our still looming questions, after the scandals and conspiracies were found to be true or false, and when we garnered enough time, information, and evidence to provide a thorough and genuine film that most everyone could appreciate, believe, and be ready for, then I'll be all up for seeing it. On Friday, April 28th, 2006, however, when 9/11 seems very recent, when scandals, conspiracies, and unanswered questions remain in the open, I'm not ready for and will not be seeing "United 93." Only if the filmmaker's change their minds and provide more for the families will I change my mind and see a partially fiction and partially non-fiction piece that claims it's non-fiction through and through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home