Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Belated-Memorial Day Comments

Yeah, it's a bit late, I know. I just haven't been in the writing mood the past couple days. Memorial Day is a very sad holiday, especially when we're at war. It's a time to remember and show thanks to those who sacrificed themselves in times of war.

I think most Americans do attempt to honor the fallen soldiers on this day. They've proven this to me on a fairly regular basis. The people who have not done so are those supposedly serving the people in another manner, our government.

I don't wish to generalize, because I know that there are some in the government who have served, fought overseas, who have even been P.O.W.'s. But there are a few, especially at the top, who I can't for a second, believe honor the fallen on this day.

This day is to show thanks for soldiers who were brave enough to fight for and defend our freedoms and way of life. What's the current war being fought for, though? Yeah, I know what Bush likes to say, that they're fighting for our freedoms and way of life and spreading democracy. But, this is all a lie.

I wish I believed it. I'm truly thankful to those overseas who believe it. But, that wasn't the original story. The administration is on plan D currently. While the soldiers have fought overseas, we've slowly seen our government gain more power, to put more emphasis on security, and therefore, less emphasis on liberty. While these brave men and women are overseas fighting to protect our liberties, they're slowly being stripped from us. I'm sorry, but I cannot believe that those up top would lie to these men and women like that and to the public in general.

Those that we honor on Memorial Day didn't fight and die for censorship. They didn't die for the Patriot Act. They didn't put their lives on the line to place more emphasis on security than liberty. They died so that the final two lines in the first verse of "The Star-Spangled Banner" rings true, that we remain "the land of the free, home of the brave." While they prove that last line, that second to last line, for which they fought and died for, is slowly slipping away.

While I and many other Americans try to pay our respects to these brave men and women who sacrificed their lives so that we may remain "the land of the free, home of the brave," there are a few up top that truly need to reflect on their decisions and what's transpired in recent years, and truly attempt to put forth their honest gratitude. They've done anything been shown that thus far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home