Saturday, May 27, 2006

"They all sound the same!"

Ever caught yourself saying to another that a song you heard sounded exactly like another one? Ever even just thought that to yourself without muttering a word? I think most people have done that at least once in their lives. I know someone who is like that, but only to the extreme. I don't know that there isn't a band whose songs don't all sound alike to him. I've caught myself saying that with one band, The Wallflowers. That was just based on the singles I heard on the radio or videos I saw on MTV (yeah, a long time ago, I know). So, I highly doubt that ALL of their songs sounded alike. Just the ones that I heard sounded quite reminiscent of one another.

The Wallflowers, Nickelback, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, U2, John Mellencamp, Bruce Springsteen, Rod Stewart, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Three Dog Night, REO Speedwagon, R.E.M., Rob/White Zombie, Green Day, amongst many other band's songs all sound the same to him.

I can hear similarities. It's not like a band such as Led Zeppelin will do an album where one song is old-school rap (Dre-esque), followed with a cover tune of an oldies song, going punk with their third song, gothic rock with #4 on the disc, Pantera-metal on the 5th tune, a "Stairway"-type epic at #6, country on #7, a duet R&B tune with Boyz II Men with their 8th track, a rap-meets-rock song at #9, and a gospel hymn at #10. No, there will be some common and similar elements in a band's music. Will all the songs actually be the same? No. But, there will probably be similarities between the songs.

I just have to roll my eyes anymore, because everytime we talk music or the radio's on or a CD is playing, he mentions that a certain band's songs all sound the same. I couldn't tell you how many times I've heard him say that. While he does know quite a bit about music, he's the master of exaggeration, as well. I think those two factors even one another out and what he's really saying is, "Some of their songs sound similar." That's what I'll try to hear everytime he says the other line. We'll see how well that strategy works.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home