Thursday, August 09, 2007

Wouldn't it be a tad awkward if...?

One were to attend a family reunion and that's where he/she meets their future spouse? Or if one could count on seeing another at a family reunion one of two ways? Through relation or through RELATION?

I only bring this up because I was witness to someone close to me flirting with a cousin-in-law for about 5 hours or so and I guess they've been in pretty constant touch ever since then. Word has it that she may come and visit him in the near future.

They aren't blood-relatives, so I'm not going to say it's morally wrong for them to date one another, but I don't know, if I was in his shoes, I know I couldn't go through with it. They have common family members. I'd feel very odd going out with a gal, picking her up somewhere and knowing that in some way, shape, or form, I was related to both she and the others there with her. If she and I were ever to get physical, I don't think I'd be able to go through with it. For one reason or another, I'd feel wrong about being passionate with her.

One major reason why I'd never get involved with a non-blood relative is the fact it could disrupt the relations between family members. When a regular couple breaks up, mutual friends typically pick a side and through that, communicate with only one of the two parties. For those that truly were mutual friends to both parties, it can create a very awkward environment and make for a very trying decision on their part. This could be even more trying and difficult when the relationships have already been set inside the family. At least with the first scenario, one typically doesn't have to worry about hearing from their brother (a mutual friend) on the matter or during holidays or family updates. Clean breaks, while difficult, are more easily accomplished. With family, though, clean breaks are more difficult and can sometimes be rather impossible. In the end, I'd just feel as if the potential hindrances would outweigh the potential rewards. Worse yet, both these individuals are a month removed from rather lengthy relationships and they're primed for rebounds at this current juncture. Two people rebounding off non-blood related cousins...sounds like the start of a joke, that or the start to an episode of the Jerry Springer Show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home