Monday, September 24, 2007

Random Notes

-I saw the film "Eastern Promises" last night, starring Viggo Mortenssen and Naomi Watts. I have not fully concluded how I felt about the film in its entirety. I may have to see it again to do so, but upon first watching it, I must say that the acting was excellent, Mortenssen in particular, the music was unique and fitting, and the direction was solid. There were many positive elements to the film, which I liked far more than director Micheal Croenenberg's previous effort, "A History of Violence," but there's something holding me back from saying it's a great film. When watching the movie, it moved along very swiftly, the storyline was fairly interesting, but once I look back on the film, it has an empty feel to it, much like "A History of Violence". Perhaps that will change upon a second viewing. Either way, to my surprise, I thought Viggo Mortenssen was excellent. I wasn't very impressed by his work in "A History of Violence" and perhaps due to that, I was not expecting such a fantastic performance in this film.

Overall Grade: 6.5/10



-Dane Cook's new film, "Good Luck Chuck," has bombed with critics (to be nice). I've read fans claim that there are two reasons for people not to like their hero: 1) They're anti-mainstream and just want to be different and 2) They're jealous of Cook's fame/fortune/appearance.



I've already touched on the first "reason." I find the second reason to be even more ludicrous and even more humorous than the first. If someone is anti-Hollywood, anti-celebrity, anti-any and every person with any kind of money, fame, or good looks, then okay, maybe this/these person(s) have a point(s). But, I don't hear these people bashing on Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Antonio Banderas, Denzel Washington, amongst others who are wealthy, famous, and attractive male celebrities. So, where is the jealousy there? We're ONLY jealous of one person, one person only, and that's Dane Cook? What, is he the most talented, sexiest male in the universe, which makes the before-mentioned Hollywood Hunks irrelevant? I find the "jealousy" line to be hilarious, because MOST people enjoy at least one television show, one movie, one musical act, one comedian, one book/author, etc. But, just because the person doesn't happen to enjoy a certain "artist's" (I use the term very loosely here) work, that makes them jealous of that ONE "artist"? Give me a break! I'm not a fan of George W. Bush. Am I jealous of the guy? Anything but! I enjoy comedy by Robin Williams, Billy Crystal, Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, Lewis Black, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Rodney Dangerfield, George Carlin, Jerry Seinfeld, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Conan O'Brien, Al Franken, etc. Am I jealous of any of them? No. I find them funny. I actually enjoy their work. I'm not a big fan of Carrot Top. Does that mean I'm jealous? I don't think so. So, please, Dane Cook fans, get off that high-horse or whatever it is you believe to be sitting on and accept the fact that not everyone loves your hero. I hold nothing against Cook as a person. I don't know the guy. But for what he is known, I'm not a fan of, plain and simple.



-I just read a comment on ESPN.com by a guy who used the word "thug" 5-10 times in a few sentences, when describing Virginia Tech and West Virginia football players. Due to former Hokie cornerback DeAngelo Hall's antics in the Atlanta Falcons' 27-20 loss to Carolina yesterday, this lad referred to Hall as a "thug" and every Hokie as the like, a "thug". Michael Vick, Marcus Vick, DeAngelo Hall...all "thugs". Kevin Jones, Ernest Wilford, Bruce Smith, Cornell Brown, Keion Carpenter, Ben Taylor, Shayne Graham, Jimmy Williams, Jim Druckenmiller, John Ellenberger, Andre' Davis, Lee Suggs are all former Hokies and there are many others I'm forgetting. ...and West Virginia? How did they get brought into the conversation? Pat White, Steve Slaton, Noah Devine, Pat Reynaud are all "thugs"? Give me a break. I'm curious to hear this individual's definition of "thug". I have a feeling I know what it is, but I'll let him elaborate on his ignorant generalizing assertion.

-Nebraska Senator, Ernie Chambers, is suing God. That's right, the big G-O-D. Why, one might ask? To prove a point, that in this day and age, one can sue anybody, even the almighty, whom cannot actually be seen or taken to court. This has ticked many people off, but I find it rather humorous. The fact that Chambers actually got a lawsuit filed against God says a lot about the judicial system of today. Regardless of who you are, what you do, or what you do or don't have transpiring in life, if you want to file a lawsuit against somebody, anybody, that can be accomplished! Zeus? Hercules? Hitler? Nietzche? Gandhi? Buddha? It can be done! Unbelievable!

-Tennessee Titans 2nd year quarterback, Vince Young, had this to say in regard to Donovan McNabb's recent statements about African-American quarterbacks receiving more criticism than white quarterbacks.

"I really feel like myself, black or white quarterbacks, we all go through something because that is the life of a quarterback." Young said. "You have to be able to handle all the pressure and you have to be able to handle the losses and you have to be able to handle the media saying this about you … If you can't handle it, then you have to get off that position and go play something else."

If Young happened to be a veteran quarterback in the league, say a Daunte Culpepper, Michael Vick, or Aaron Brooks, I may take his word a little more seriously, but for him to be saying such things as basically a rookie? Not wise Vincent, not wise at all. "You have to be able to handle the media saying this about you." After a couple to a few years, another cocky rookie may be saying this to you after you receive more heat than you're used to. The media has been easy on you, as they were on McNabb, Culpepper, Vick, and other young quarterbacks when they first enter the league, allowing for some time to grow and mature as quarterbacks, but after they feel that the quarterback should be at point F and they're still at point C in the maturation process, that's when the criticisms will start flying your way and while you may not have the slightest idea of what it's like at this point in your career, you will someday, don't worry. Then he has the nerve to say, "If you can't handle it, then you have to get off that position and go play something else." Basically a rookie quarterback telling Donovan McNabb, one of the greatest African-American quarterbacks to play the game to "get off that position and play something else"? If it wasn't for the likes of McNabb, Young may not have been given an opportunity to play quarterback in the NFL. He may have been given a chance at receiver or in the secondary, but not at quarterback. I was always very neutral about Vince Young. He seemed quiet, but intense. I was unimpressed with his form and mechanics in throwing the football, but saw improvements each year he stepped onto the field. I am unimpressed with the statements he made regarding McNabb. Once you're a veteran in the league, have gone through those growing pains, pressures, and critiques by the media and fans, then you have every right to share your wisdom with the youngsters, but for you, a rookie (basically) to tell a Super Bowl and Pro Bowl veteran such things is a bit out of line. At the current juncture, you're nowhere near the quarterback Donovan McNabb was or is and I have a hunch you're never going to come close.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home