Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Facebook Poke

There are many different features on Facebook and the quantity is growing by the day it seems like. One feature I've been a bit perplexed by and of which I was not aware until a couple months ago, is what is termed the poke.

Over the past day plus, I've been poked four times by the same person, whom instigated it all four times and happens to be someone in which I have an interest. I haven't been poked this much since I was in a mosh pit at a Kiss concert. So, what does it mean, if anything?

Out of curiosity, I looked the Facebook poke up on, as former President Bush would call it, "The Google". Unfortunately or fortunately, depending upon one's perspective, there are multiple interpretations of this very feature.

These include a way to:

1) Aggravate

2) Flirt

3) Start a conversation

4) Say hello

5) Say I miss you

6) Say I'm thinking about you

7) Say what's up?

8) Hint that you should call them

9) Hint that you should write them

10) Say I like you

11) Say I want your attention

12) Engage in a poke war

13) Say did you know Ted Haggard is bisexual?

14) Engage in a Facebook staring contest

15) Set up a streakers' charity event

There have also been perverse interpretations and there was one story where a Facebook poke led to a marriage.

So, with all those (and others, I'm sure) potential interpretations of the poke, how does one know how to interpret it? As with all things, I'm guessing it depends.

It probably depends on how well the two people know each other, what kind of relationship they have, etc.

So, what does it mean in this case specifically? I couldn't say, because I haven't a clue as to where we are in our relationship. Go figure, right?

I must admit, though, that when I first saw this Facebook feature, my dirty mind made me laugh some. It made me laugh even more due to the fact my first poke was from a male friend of mine. What can I say? I go both ways with the poke and am secure enough in my Facebook-world sexuality to admit that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home