Sunday, January 23, 2011

I see that I'm not the only one whom thinks Jay Cutler is a wimp...

So, I see that my very short blog (the shortest of my life) regarding Chicago Bears quarterback, Jay Cutler, being a wimp has generated some traffic.

Seriously, though... Now, let it be known that I had nothing against any of the four teams whom played today: Pittsburgh, NY Jets, Chicago or Green Bay. I think I may have preferred Chicago to face New York in the Super Bowl, but the only reason for that is Pittsburgh has now been to three Super Bowls in the past six years and Green Bay won the title 14 years ago, I believe. Meanwhile, Chicago hasn't won in around 25 years (approximately) and the Jets haven't won it since 1969. I don't feel like doing research right now, so I'll stick by those approximates. They're close enough.

For all those that watched the early game today between Green Bay and Chicago know, Jay Cutler was taken to the locker room just after he had thrown an interception to basically end the half. Green Bay took a knee on the following play and that was it for the first thirty minutes of action.

After the teams exited their locker rooms to play the second half, word came out that Jay Cutler had injured his knee and was questionable to return. I'm sorry, but watching him jog off the field to the locker room like he did made me think the injury may have dealt with his bloody elbow. I, in no way, thought he had injured his knee.

He never returned to the game. Chicago brought in Todd Collins and then Caleb Haine to replace Cutler. All throughout the second half, Jay Cutler was standing on the sideline. If his knee were really banged up, why in Buddha's ganja was he standing on the sideline, putting pressure on his knees? Why did he not just sit on the bench and rest it? That makes absolutely no sense to me. If the guy can stand up for thirty minutes of play in the second half, why in the world can't he take the snaps behind center? As I said in the other blog, the only answer I can come up with is that he's a wimp and unless I hear some news tomorrow about him having torn an ACL or something along those lines, I will stand by that statement.

Cutler played better this year than he has in the past couple, but I still don't believe the guy has it upstairs yet to become a premiere quarterback in this league. The guy has all the physical tools, but something is missing mentally. The guy was a good game manager this year, as he didn't force nearly as many balls as he did last season and played within Mike Martz's gameplan. But, that's all he was - a game manager. He was a slight upgrade from Trent Dilfer when he played with Baltimore and their great defense. Chicago had one of the best defenses in the league this year and one of the best special teams, to which Devin Hester can attest. But, Cutler, more times than not, played not to lose the game and to be a great quarterback in this league, you can't play like that. You've got to play to win. You've got to want the ball in your hands when you're down four late in the game. Today, Chicago trailed by 14 going into halftime. The game was not over by any stretch of the imagination. Heck, third year quarterback, Caleb Haine, almost brought the Bears back at game's end. Jay Cutler can't be standing on the sidelines. He has to want to play in the NFC Championship Game, at home, against his division rival for a chance to play in the Super Bowl. If he can't do that, then maybe the guy just isn't cut out for the NFL. Hopefully, for Cutler and Bears fans alike, that's not the case. But, to this point in his career, he has yet to prove that to me and has a long ways to go before he does.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home