Sunday, January 23, 2011

Is it just me or are the Coors and Miller Light commercials not that funny?

I admit, when I first saw the Coors Light football commercials, I thought it was a good idea and was optimistic I'd find the commercial funny. However, I think the execution of the commercials have been mediocre at best.

Head coaches can give a lot of what is known as "coach speak," which basically means they talk in cliches and you can predict what they're going to say before they say it. However, there are also those rare instances when a head coach gives a memorable quote and it'll be replayed for years on ESPN. There are even top ten lists devoted to such quotes. One such quote was said by former head coach, Jim Mora Sr. His club had been struggling and a reporter asked him about the playoffs and if he felt they'd make it to the post-season. Mora replied with something like, "Playoffs? Playoffs? We can't even win a d**n game and you're asking me about playoffs?" It was quite humorous at the time and even years after Mora said that, it's been replayed online and on television, with laughter being the typical response.

So, going into the commercial, I was optimistic it'd be humorous, as we'd get to hear some memorable quotes by the coaches in response to questions asked by fake members of the press. However, this wasn't the case. All we get in these commercials are fake reporters asking questions where there can only be a handful of fitting responses and the coaches give one or two word answers, like "Yeah, that's right" or "What?", along with the occasional stutter or noise which results in no words being spoken. The commercials just seem to lack the creativity and execution to be very funny. A funnier version of one of these commercials would be a fake reporter asking Jim Mora, Sr. something like, "Coach, your team has struggled recently. What if you guaranteed buying all your players a case of Coors Light if they make the playoffs?" Mora could then respond with his now famous quote about the playoffs, "Playoffs? Playoffs? We can't even win a d**n game! Playoffs?" That's a very memorable quote from a NFL head coach and would make for a much more humorous commercial than what we've been given thus far. I hope they improve the humor of these commercials, because I see potential in them. Unfortunately, I haven't been very impressed with the final products thus far.

This is strange for me, because I typically like beer commercials. On Super Bowl Sunday, most of the time (not always), the most memorable commercials are affiliated with one beer or another. But, like with the Coors Light commercials, I haven't been all too impressed with the Miller Light commercials. Again, I see promise, potential, but I haven't been impressed with the creativity (or lack there of) and execution thus far.

In these commercials, the bartender asks a customer if he/she wants a Miller Light or some other light beer. The customer always orders something else, to which the bar tender responds by making an observation on the customer's clothing, saying, "Well as soon as you (fill-in-the-blank), perhaps you'll order a Miller Light." These commercials include: A dragon outfit, tight pants, European swim trunks, etc. Then at the tail-end of the commercial, the customer order a Miller Light and his/her friends then make a comment about his/her attire. The one-liners aren't very funny. They just state matter of factly what is obvious. If someone were dressed in drag, the bartender would say, "Well, as soon as you stop dressing like a woman, perhaps you'll be man enough to order a Miller Light." There's nothing creative about that. It wouldn't be funny if I were at a barbecue and someone with a gaudy ring came up to me, asked me for a beer, to which I asked what he/she would like; they responded with "something else" and I came back with something like, "Well, when you don't feel the need to show off your ring, then maybe you'll drink a Miller Light." Now, if I were to say, "Well, as soon as you stop feeling the need to compensate for something else with that big ring of yours, maybe you'll be big enough to order a Miller Light," that, to me, would be more humorous. Of course, I'm not sure that could be aired, but, it's a start, I suppose.

So, Coors and Miller Light, please improve upon these poorly executed commercials. They have plenty of potential. Let's actually garner a few more laughs with these, especially with the Super Bowl just two weeks away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home