Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Irony of hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia (fear of long words)

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia is the fear of long words. No, I'm not kidding. It's as if the creator(s) of this word was (were) playing a cruel joke on those whom suffer from it. I imagine the conversation went a little something like this:

Bruno: "What's next?"

Jerome: "Fear of long words."

Bruno: "Alright, so, something simple, I guess..."

Jerome: "No, let's mess with them and come up with the longest word possible. Kind of like supercalifragilisticexpealidotioius."

Bruno: "Oh, you're bad."

Jerome: "I know."

Bruno: "I like it!"

Jerome. "Let's draw a bunch of random letters out of a hat and see what we come up with."

Bruno: "How many letters are you thinking?"

Jerome: "Including 'phobia,' I'm thinking there should be 35 letters."

::draw a bunch of letters::

Bruno: "So, what do we have?"

Jerome: "Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia. Ah, that's perfect!"

Bruno: "Indeed it is."

::both let out simultaneous evil laughs::

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home