Saturday, January 28, 2006

Can't we move past this?

What am I talking about? Racism and interracial dating or marriage. I thought the new debate was on gay marriage. But, no, the debate on interracial marriage is still alive and well, as I've come to discover over the past week.

I would like to think of us as a color-blind society, but that would be my naivete getting the best of me. Although, I'm not the most naive' lad out there. I've heard many say that "racism" is no longer present in the country. As much as I want to say it's no longer present, it'll always be present. There will always be some people who believe that their ethnicity is superior to all others or that a certain ethnicity is inferior. While, I do think that the problem of racism is improving in this country, I also think it's becoming more hidden. Some people will just come out with their thoughts and feelings regardless of where they are or who they're with. But, with others, they tend to hide these thoughts and feelings until they're intoxicated with some buddies of the same ethnicity.

Whether it's shown on a regular basis, displayed off and on, or hidden, racism is still a large and ever present problem in today's society. Why else would I and others hear that "It's just not right for whites and blacks to be together?" I heard that said just a few days ago and all I could do was shake my head. I asked them why they felt this way and all they could muster was, "I don't know. I just do." So, for those naive' on the problem of racism, realize that it was an issue 25 years ago, is an issue today, and will be an issue 25 years from today. I just hope that even though there are and will be hateful and racist people, in the end, Martin Luther King's "dream" will be sought, reached, and fulfilled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home