Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Dating Secrets

No, believe me, I don't have any to dish out. I wish I did, but I'd be lying if I said such a thing.

A friend of mine told me last night, "There is no magical formula that makes things work," in reference to dating and relationships. While this seems to be fairly common sense, it is very true. I've heard, read, and witnessed all kinds of different stories on how two people met: at school, at work, at church, at a party, at a restaurant, through friends, online, traveling, on a blind date, at a bar, through friends of friends, and the list goes on.

This is why I see dating secrets like medications. While someone may tell you to go to some pub, because they're loaded with singles there and not to date anyone you're working with, for the simple fact that they had a positive experience at the pub and a negative one at work, another will come along and say the direct opposite. Someone else will come in and say, "Well, I met (fill in the blank) at a party. You should just hit the parties!" There will be some people who agree, others who disagree, but we all have a unique story to tell in regard to how we met someone, even if there are similarities involved to others'. It reminds me of medications, because while one pill may work quite well with one person, there may be atrocious side effects, with none of the positive relief the first person felt, for another. So, is there a right way? Is there a wrong way? No. But, how do we find that right way for ourselves? The pill that actually works with our system with little to no negative side effects?

A lot of people like to use cliche's when telling people what should be done to meet that special someone or to just meet people in general, along with what they've experienced. Some like to say that the moment will come when you least expect it. This reminds me of the cliche', "It's always in the last place you'd look," when wanting to find something. Well, yeah, because, once you've found it, there's really no need to continue looking, right? If one has never experienced something truly special in terms of love, every single moment is when they'd least expect it, so regardless of when that time comes, it'll be when they least expect it. Some like to say that if you want to find something special, you have to go out and look for yourself, not to be passive, but to take action, treating it as a race, in a way. Others like to say that it's best to not go about things in that manner, to just let everything come to you. Is there a 100% correct answer? No, again.

So, what will work for me? That is the question. I've gone about the dating routine through several different methods and they've all failed up to this point. Whenever I bring up a new suggestion, it usually gets shot down, that it won't work, that I've done similar things before, which have failed. They'll then bring up another suggestion, and I'll point out the fact that that hasn't worked for me either. I've dated people I met: at school, at parties, through friends, blind dates, online, through friends of friends, at get-togethers, etc. No formula has worked yet. But, just because one method has failed up to this point, does that mean necessarily that it will forever fail? No. Just like when a pitcher seems to have gone about his preparation, alteration in arm movements, and every change that he could possibly think of to get back on track, one day, it might just click for him.

It just seems to be a guessing game at this point, as it is for many doctors on what medicine to prescribe to a particular patient, and if that pill doesn't work, we'll try this other one over here. What will work? What won't work? I haven't the slightest idea. I guess that depends on the person. Everyone has their own little unique story and I'm just attempting to find a way so that I may have my own to tell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home