Monday, June 04, 2007

Foreign Films Have Subtitles?

A friend of mine and I went to see the new Dutch film, "Black Book", last week. Following the film, we went to Barnes and Noble, where my friend works. When mentioning the film to a couple co-workers/friends, they both asked, "Was it subtitled?" When I mentioned the movie to my mother the day after, she too responded with, "Were there subtitles?" Finally, today, I brought the flick up to another and he replied with, "Was it subtitled?" What, do these people all believe my friend and I speak fluent Dutch? I've seen films in: Spanish, French, Arabic, German, Swedish, Norwegian, Turkish, Parisian, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Danish, Czech, Hebrew, Russian, Icelandic, and Dutch, amongst other languages. I wish it was true, but do these people truly believe that I can speak 18+ languages (including English) fluently? Why would the non-fluent speakers of the film's native tongue bother to see such films if they couldn't understand but a word that was being spoken? Unless it's truly a "visual" film, I don't know why anyone would bother.

Well, I guess this goes to show me how few actually watch Foreign Films. As an ex of my friend put it, "If I wanted to read, I'd buy a book." Ah, yes. ...and if I wanted to engage in a healthy, diverse, open, and in-depth conversation, I'd probably look elsewhere than his direction, I'm guessing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home