Monday, August 20, 2007

Death at a Funeral Review

I just went and saw the new British comedy, Death at a Funeral, yesterday and must say, I was quite impressed. To my surprise, the place was packed. It was only airing in one theatre, but still. I figured my mom and I would be able to get solid seats with no problem. We had to sit in the second row.



Some people I know (one in particular) have this ignorant stereotype that all British comedy is silly, slapstick, and overly predictable. This person has seen Borat and still believes that to be the case, although I doubt he sees Borat as British humor. Death at a funeral is contemporary in its style of British humor. It's not afraid to be controversial at times, offend, and is most certainly not predictable. From start to finish, my mom, I, and many others in the theatre laughed at a fairly regular pace with some of the laughs being in the out loud fashion.



There's something in this film for everyone, from a nervous man mistakingly taking a pill of acid thinking it was valium to odd occurrences with the coffin to a man walking on the roof naked in broad daylight to little people attempting to make their presence known in large ways to an old (very old) grandparent with a dirty mouth to an overworrisome man that can't seem to stop talking to a bitter old mother and so much more! I may be jumping the gun just a smidge when saying this (probably not), but Death at at Funeral has to be the funniest film I've seen since I viewed another British comedy, Hot Fuzz.



Comedic Grade: 8/10 - There's humor for everyone: sarcastic and dry, silly, perverted, slapstick, offensive, etc.



Overall Grade: 7/10 - The film was so funny, that I didn't much care about plot or storyline depth or even quality acting. There were some touching moments here and there, though, in the few seconds during the course of the film where I wasn't laughing. Much can be learned from the film, like don't do any hits of acid before going to a wedding, funeral, or job interview and if you're going to have an affair with someone, make sure you don't pass away before they do!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home