Saturday, August 18, 2007

Vick's Punishment

I just read a op-ed piece at ESPN.com by one Wochjiehowski (I know I spelled that wrong and I apologize to Wojo, I'll call him).

Wojo wrote an op-ed regarding what Vick's punishment should be if he's found guilty of being involved in the dogfighting operation (plea bargains are included). Make the guy (and the others purportedly involved) work at an Animal Humane Society, clean, clean after, feed the dogs, attend classes with people who have lost their pets, and especially in Vick's case, donate a large sum of money to the Humane Society. Wojo wrote that if he donated $5 million (not much for him), the Humane Society would be good to go for another 20 years or so.

I think this is a good idea. If the allegations are true, then it's obvious these men haven't the slightest idea what dogs mean to many Americans. It's not a given, of course, but hopefully by working with all of these fun-loving animals, seeing others' hardships based on losing their loved pets, etc., that these men would come to a better understanding of what dogs mean to many American families. That wouldn't be punishment enough, but they could work at the Humane Society until close and then spend their evenings in prison.

For anyone interested in reading the entire piece, just go to ESPN.com and check under that lengthy last name that begins with W and ends in an I. While I doubt this will be part of the punishment, if it should come to that, I think it'd potentially be much more beneficial to these men and thus to society in general than for them to spend their entire days and nights in a penitentiary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home