Sunday, August 12, 2007

Winkie Review

I just read a political satire, Winkie, by Clifford Chase. I had never heard of it before I waltzed into Barnes and Noble a couple weeks ago. I looked at the cover, read the positive reviews, and thought that it sounded so unique and bizarre, that I had to give it a read.

The star of this book is Winkie, a stuffed bear (stay with me here), falsely accused of over 900 heinous crimes. The authorities lay claim that the bear is affiliated with terrorism. That's right, it's a satire about the war on terror, using a stuffed bear to illustrate the administration's dangerous power crave and the wrongs committed in their pursuit of this war and those within it.

As expected, the book made for a very unique reading experience. There were a few chuckles here and there, but Winkie had far fewer laughs than I was expecting. However, it was a much more emotionally-charged book than I was expecting, as well. Believe it or not, but it's difficult not to care about this stuffed bear and treat it like a human when reading this prose novel. Overall, I'd say that I'd recommend this for reading. I don't know that I'll ever read it again, but I can say I'm glad I read it once.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home