Thursday, January 27, 2011

Obama may want to come up with a new slogan. "Win(ning) The Future" just isn't doing it for me...

As I noted in a recent blog, I thought President Barack Obama did a pretty good job with his State of the Union Address. It lacked in specifics, but I think he accomplished what I believe he wanted to accomplish - to make it appear to the American public that he is able to bring both parties together, that he's willing to compromise on issues and that he's more of a uniter than a divider. With such angry partisan rhetoric that most people are sick and tired of, Obama, I think, tried to corner the Republicans and tell them, "If you want to continue the angry rhetoric, fine, but as we saw with the State of the Union Address, the American people believe that President Obama is a uniter, so this will only hurt your cause in the 2012 election(s)."

However, I have to say, I think the new slogan, "Win(ning) the Future" has to go. It just doesn't sound right to me. It reminds me of comedian Stephen Colbert's book, "I Am America (And So Can You)!" However, unlike Obama's slogan, Colbert came up with the title to generate laughs. Obama's slogan may generate a few laughs as well, but that was not the intention of he and his cabinet.

Slogans are generally very short catchy phrases. "Yes We Can!" is one such example. Obama used this in the run-up to the 2008 presidential election and it caught on. People would chant the slogan at rallies, "Yes We Can! Yes We Can! Yes We Can!" There were signs being made and passed around with that very phrase and being held up by many with grand pride. I just can't see that happening with "Win(ning) the Future". Can you imagine people at a rally chanting, "Win the Future! Win the Future! Win the Future!"? I don't think so. As Sarah Palin did, they could abbreviate it to WTF, but due to what many see it standing for, "What the F***?", I'd suggest they don't do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home