Monday, February 07, 2011

Oh, Christina... (Aguilera)

For anyone whom resides in the United States and was alive through the pre-game portion of the Super Bowl last night will know, Grammy-award winning artist, Christina Aguilera fumbled a bit with the words to the National Anthem.

As Jillian Mapes of billboard.com writes, 'Aguilera changed the words in the song's fourth line, which reads as: "O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?" Instead, the 'Burlesque' singer merged the lyrics with the song's second line, which she had just sang ('What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?'), belting out: 'What so proudly we watched at the twilight's last gleaming?'"

Okay, I admit that I heard the flub right away, as did the rest of my family and millions others. I kind of laughed about it at first, because I find it a tad humorous when celebrities screw up. I'll also be the first to admit that she should have been able to get the lyrics right. However, I think many people are overreacting to her forgetting the lyrics. I think what deserves criticism is her overall performance. Her voice sounded extremely strained and forced. It was like she was attempting to reach notes she was able to reach in her younger days, but isn't able to anymore. Now, I'm fine with people putting their own spin on a song to make their rendition stand out from the rest. However, in my opinion, her's just didn't cut it.

I kind of feel bad for her. To mess up on the National Anthem at the Super Bowl, of all events, receives huge headlines and publicity. She's an established artist and grammy award-winning one at that, so it's not like this slip up will cost her any, but it will be what some remember her for, unfortunately (right, Janet?).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home