Monday, February 13, 2006

Blind Spoken Ironies

Two friends are chatting about random topics one evening. Brad starts going into detail about smoking and its negative, harmful effects. Jeff listens on, as Brad starts pointing out statistics and sources where he found these numbers. "You shouldn't smoke. There's a direct link between that and several forms of cancer, lung in particular.", is what Brad finishes his tangent with. All the while, he is smoking.

Ever know someone like Brad? They can talk your ear off and even give you lectures on the rights and wrongs of this world and yet, at that very same time, they are committing those same acts they lecture on being wrong?

I admit, I've spoken these blind ironies before. I think most everyone has. People would come to me with their relationship problems and I'd give them advice on what was transpiring and what they should do about it. Then, six months later, when I got involved with someone, I'd fall into the same traps and seem clueless as to what was happening, even though I'd given advice about that same predicament six months earlier. My only excuse or reason for situations like that is the fact that it's much easier to be on the outside looking in on a situation and having a non-biased, realistic perspective. When we're in the situation for ourselves, that vision can very easily be narrowed.

When events are spread out like that, I can understand how people can speak in blind ironies. But, what makes me really laugh and shake my head is when these events occur simultaneously, like the before-mentioned story about Brad and Jeff. I've heard these statements regarding numerous topics: Relationships, friendships, lifestyles, habits, just about anything and everything.

Perhaps it's very difficult for one to look in the mirror when they're giving advice to another. Deep down, maybe they're thinking to themselves, "Gosh, I've got to work on that," but they want the focus and attention to stay on course. Perhaps some people go on these tangents at times to remind themselves of certain things they need to work on. I don't know. I don't have the answers.

What I do know is whenever I hear these statements, all I can do is smirk, sigh, and shake my head. It's humorous, in an odd way, to listen to the Brads give long, in-depth, insightful speeches regarding topics such as the damages of smoking, all while huffing and puffing away on a cigarette.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home