Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Talker

Think you know someone who talks a lot? I imagine the person I know talks more. It baffles me how a person could talk this much. Even if a conversation begins with the heavy subject of you having brain surgery, this individual will get that out of the way in 1-2 minutes and then talk about something entirely different for another 12-13. If the discussion begins with chatter regarding a recent break-up of yours, this person will transform it into one dealing with their relationship and problems.

Once they start talking, there's almost no stopping them. If there is a milli-second pause, that's your only chance to say "Hey" and get in a few words. Even then, they may not hear you and will continue venting, ranting, complaining, or just flat-out talking.

They're like the energizer bunny, but their speaking batteries never die. They TRULY keep going and going and going. I've laid the phone done during certain rants for a couple minutes and when I pick it up, guess what? They're still talking! I don't hear a dial tone from them hanging up. I don't hear them asking, "Hey, are you there?" No, they're still talking!

The other night, they supposedly called to ask about how a mutual friend was doing following a break-up. I had just spent time with this friend, so I attempted to be of service and answer the questions. Right after I muttered my few words in answering a particular question, they'd go off, like a stock car that was revving itself up for a few minutes. They went into their current relationship and how they could relate, but then went off onto the other end of the spectrum, which had absolutely no relevance to the original topic and then came around full circle to try and make sense of their rant. This happened a few times. I answered a questions and then....bam! Off they go! They even drew conclusions that weren't there, made false assumptions, and just went with it. I attempted to find that millisecond pause here and there, but was only rewarded once for my efforts.

It's getting to be difficult for me to pick up the phone anymore when I know this person is calling, because I know what the talk is going to consist of...a LOT of talking on their part, mucho listening on mine, my attempting to get a word in here and there but failing the majority of time, and at the end of the conversation, wondering where my money is for the session.

I thought my brother talked a lot. I thought some other friends of mine and friends of friends talked a lot. But, nobody can match this person. They're incomparable in the land of talking. English (American) is my native language. When I learned Spanish, I always felt that they were speaking a bit too rapidly for my ears. Well, I feel the same way regarding this friend of mine and he speaks English (American).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home