Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Random Notes

- Ever been to Wingstop? I've gone to Buffalo Wild Wings a few times and perhaps I've just gotten used to the size of their wings, which are really, nugget-size. My mom and I went to Wingstop the other day and ordered some boneless wings, just as I tend to do at Buffalo Wild Wings. Typically, at BWW, I'll order 12, with three separate sauces (four per, for mathematicians out there). So, we did likewise at Wingstop, ordering approximately 20 boneless wings (10 each). Little did we expect that these things were more the size of chicken tenders than nuggets. Sadly, they got one order wrong, so they gave us 8-10 extra. So, there we were, just the two of us, with approximately 30 chicken tenders laid before us. Safe to say, we didn't even get them half eaten. Next time, I'll/we'll make sure to order a smaller amount.



- A local chapter of NOW (National Organization for Women) released a statement today, calling Ted Kennedy's endorsement of Barack Obama over Hillary Clinton the "ultimate betrayal" of women across the country. Caroline Kennedy endorsed Obama. Heck, she was the Kennedy who got the ball rolling, as she was the first of the three to endorse the Illinois Senator. These comments are ludicrous. This local chapter basically stated that Kennedy (Ted) is just another man not willing to give a woman the opportunity to lead the country. So, what? Every woman that votes for Obama, or anyone else besides Clinton is betraying women all across the nation? How does that work? If any African-American doesn't vote for Obama, is that betraying blacks all across the country? If Clinton received the Kennedy endorsement, would the NAACP have spoken up and called the Massachusetts Senator a racist? Ladies, just as you have every right to vote for whomever you'd like, Mr. Kennedy and everyone else in this country (of age and legal, of course) has that same right. I think it's rather ridiculous for an organization devoted to women's equality basically telling women that they MUST vote one way and one way only. That's a bit hypocritical, don't you think?



- Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedenberg's third film, "Meet the Spartans," debuted at #1 on this past weekend's chart. When I saw that, I about ODed on advil. I saw their first film, "Date Movie," and have since decided to bypass their most recent pair, "Epic Movie" and now "Meet the Spartans". Can their be a permanent ban on these guys from ever associating themselves with a film ever again? Please? I can appreciate different types of music, art, film, etc. Most times, I'll say that one's liking of a certain art is based on taste. Often times, it's rather subjective. I love '80s rock and some hate it. That's fine. Some may enjoy Picasso and others prefer Monet. Again, no problem. Some may enjoy romantic comedies as opposed to dramas and vice versa. Once again, that's not a big deal. BUT, I can't for the life of me understand how someone could enjoy these films. I sat through "Date Movie," its entirety. I've sat through some pretty rotten films, "Gone Fishin'" being one of them. But, I think I can safely say, without question, "Date Movie" was THE worst movie I've ever seen. I'm not one to throw commentary like that around with every film I view as some do. I don't change my mind every weekend and one up myself from the previous week, claiming that THE film I saw was THE best or worst of all time. No, I'm not like that. So, I am genuinely stating that I believe "Date Movie" to have been the worst movie I've ever seen. I have to take that with a grain of salt (two grains), because I've yet to see Seltzer and Friedenberg's other two films. I'm just curious on who sees these movies and who enjoys them. It saddens me to no end that this movie was successful in its opening week at the box office, because what does that mean? A fourth installment will be made! "Action Movie," "Romance Movie," "Drama Movie" or whatever other clever title they can muster. Please, for the love of all cinema-goers in the world, please Mr. Seltzer and Friedenberg, enjoy the money you've (gulp) earned and take a long, lustrous vacation.



- Think your weather is bizarre? Inconsistent? Crazy at times? Unless you live in Nebraska, you don't know what you're talking about. Get this. It's January 28th. We're in the middle of the winter season. Today, it reached the 50 degree mark. It was gorgeous, feeling more like a late fall day than the middle of winter. Tomorrow? January 29th? Just 24 hours later? A high of 14, with a wind chill of -15 degrees. Tomorrow night? A low of -4 with winds of 25-35 miles per hour. I'm not sure what that would calculate in terms of the wind chill, but how's that for a 24-hour swing? 50 to -15 wind chill, a 65 degree turnaround in a single day. My family and I have been fighting colds the past few days. We in Nebraska may want to refer to tomorrow, January 29th, as National Cold Day, because there are going to be a lot of them state-wide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home