Friday, December 30, 2005

The Most Difficult Holiday

Whenever I think about holidays singles loathe, Valentine's Day is the one that first comes to mind. Why wouldn't it? It's the day on the calendar, February 14th, that celebrates love. Chocolates, flowers, and jewelry are bought in the bunches. Many couples celebrate with a romantic evening out. I hear many singles talking about how they'll probably just sit at home all night, munch on some chocolate, and watch romantic comedies by themselves. But, you know what? Even that isn't such a drag when you think about it. A night eating chocolate and watching funny sappy movies? Laughing, crying, eating, and drinking?

But, what do I think is the most difficult holiday for us singles? New Years. It's symbolic of a brand new start, a new beginning, a celebration of another year behind and a year ahead. But, as opposed to Valentine's Day, where I don't know of too many parties going on, New Year's is full of them. You can find more parties going on New Year's Eve than any other day of the year. What goes on at these parties? Socializing, drinking, eating, meeting new people, sharing time with people you're close to. But, once that clock strikes midnight, all the fun of the evening is lost and forgotten, and people embrace for the kiss to the new year. This has happened to me on a few occasions, especially the past four years. Once the clock strikes twelve, there will be a dead silence in the air. I'll look to my left, look to my right, and see full-blown make-out sessions, as I sit in the middle, twiddling my thumbs. It's a time I'd rather be eating chocolates by myself and watching romantic comedies. At least then, nobody is rubbing things in my face. Valentine's Day is more of a couples day. New Year's is a group day that turns into a couples day when the clock strikes twelve. It goes from talking about celebrating with everyone that is there to celebrating with that one special someone and that can make moments very awkward for some, like me, especially if I'm sober. On Valentine's Day, people like me don't have to worry about being the odd person out at a party, because there won't be one. But on New Year's, that's a completely different story. I hope that those who are involved in a relationship and celebrating with a group of people, singles included, are able to make the most of the moment and celebrate with everyone at the gathering and not just that special someone. If not, I hope you are able to provide alcohol for that friend to make the moment less awkward. Cheers and Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home